The historic character of the church

St Andrew’s Church was built in 1254 in Early English (lancet) style, set within what
is probably an ancient burial ground from Saxon times.  There is evidence that the Saxon church was stone built.

The wide 13th century Chancel is almost entirely medieval internally. The choir stalls incorporate 17th century bench poppy heads. The Nave was extended and pews installed in 1848 with a vestry, porch and octagonal bell turret with two bells added. Extensive work was done in 2014 for which a grant from English Heritage Lottery Fund was made (approximately half the cost) to replace the Chancel roof, the east and south walls of the Chancel were structurally tied and repointed, together with some repointing to other walls of the church. 

In 2020 the Nave roof was replaced, with the help of grants from National Churches Trust and many other grant bodies to match the funds raised locally, and the church was rewired and redecorated.  The sound system was updated, together with an updated heating unit – all of this work was undertaken whilst the church was out of action for Covid 19 restrictions.  The church is now in good order structurally with the completion of this 10 year project.

 
We are flexible in our worship and the structure of our services. We have a service every Sunday at 9.30 am and on the first Sunday of the month from October to May, there is a family Communion service.

‘Sweet Winston’ by Brian Clarke – A history of a Teesdale Village.
This fascinating book is still available in a limited number and can be obtained by calling 01325 730434 or using the contact form for further information.

About Us

St Andrew’s, Winston

Winston parish comprises the village of Winston on the A67, with three hamlets to the north of the A67 namely Westholme, South Cleatlam and Little Newsham and one hamlet to the south over the river named Winston Gate, and seven farms across the parish.
 
The population is 430 and there is a mix of ages but the greater population consists of active retired people with a wide range of skills. There are no shops or schools within the parish, the nearest small shops and schools are in Gainford or Staindrop. 
 
St Andrew’s Church is a focal point for the area standing on a prominent hilltop, simple yet majestic in its setting with striking views over the Tees valley. The environment around the village is calm and peaceful and the church is listed in “Small Pilgrim Places” as a site for meditation. The church is well integrated into the local community and forms a focal point at key times in people’s lives as well as at harvest and carol services. The church is open for visitors every day during the summer and at weekends and Bank Holidays during the winter months, with a key available at other times by request.  There are three information boards giving the history of the church within the setting of the parish from Romain times until current time.